Fire HD 6 Kids Edition Tablet, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB, Blue Kid-Proof Case
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Have a question?
Toy SafetyOur recommended age: 24 months
All-new Fire HD tablet—with 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, Kid-Proof Case, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee–for a savings of up to $95.
A real tablet, not a toy
A full-featured tablet that includes a beautiful HD display and Dolby Digital Audio that’s perfect for watching movies like Finding Nemo, and a fast quad-core processor that ensures fast app launch times and smooth games and videos.
With a durable screen and rigorous testing, Fire HD is unsurpassed in durability among tablets for kids.
Hits kids love from PBS, Nickelodeon, Disney and more
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is the first-ever all-in-one subscription that brings together all the types of content that kids ages 3-10 love—books, movies, TV episodes, educational apps, and games.
Designed with kids in mind
With Amazon FreeTime mode on, the background color and fonts change to a kid-friendly design. Kids will see titles that have been selected just for them and can navigate visually to content based on characters or topics—for example "Cinderella," "Dinosaurs," or "Puppies."
Best-in-class parental controls
Amazon FreeTime offers innovative parental controls that encourage learning before play and that help manage screen time. With FreeTime, you select all of the content your kids can see, and you can limit your kids' screen time by content type. FreeTime blocks stores and in-app payments, so you don't have to worry about additional expenses.
Create profiles just for kids
Create up to four child profiles and choose a unique collection of titles that each one of your kids will have access to. It's like giving each kid their very own, personalized tablet. Kids also can't exit Amazon FreeTime mode without your password.
If they break it, we’ll replace it.
We all know accidents happen. The 2-year worry-free guarantee includes coverage for anything that happens to your Fire HD. Just return the tablet and we’ll replace it for free. It also covers Fire HD against electrical and mechanical breakdowns.
Designed to be durable and lightweight, the Kid-Proof Case fits perfectly in little hands without adding unnecessary weight to your Fire HD tablet.
Features & details
- Up to $95 in savings on a Fire HD 6 or Fire HD 7, 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, Kid-Proof Case, and 2-year worry-free guarantee
- Not a toy, a full-featured Fire HD tablet with HD display, front and rear cameras, and Dolby Audio
- The included 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to 15,000 popular apps and games, videos, books, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if they break it, return it and we'll replace it for free. No questions asked
- Unlimited, free access to curated, kid-friendly content with 1-year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited included
- Best-in-class parental controls allow you to manage usage limits, content access, and educational goals
|Product Dimensions||6.7 x 4 x 0.4 inches|
|Item Weight||10.1 ounces|
|Shipping Weight||1.28 pounds|
|Batteries||Lithium Metal batteries required. (included)|
|Date first listed on Amazon||September 16, 2014|
There was a problem completing your request. Please try again later.
Q: Does this have learning games appropriate for a 3 yr. old?
A: yes! My 3 year old loves hers.
Q: Are charger and headphones included ?
A: no head phones
Q: can the screen lock during video play back so my son can't click out of it?
A: Not that I'm aware of. The only lock screen available is for the changing of accounts
Q: Is there enough memory to download a movie for a plane ride (no wifi) for example?
A: Not enough memory to download movies. I was disappointed that my kids could not even down …
If storage space is required for wifi to be used the device should stop allowing downloads when it gets close or automatically remove content as needed.
The reason I am giving this 3-stars is because of a few factors that make this inferior to the other kindle's she can use Freetime Unlimited on. We own a 32 gb 7" HDX with 4g and another 32 gb 7" HDX with only wi-fi. However, the below pros and cons are concerning the Fire HD 7 Kids Edition
1. Durable. With the bumper on it she will often drop (or throw during a tantrum) the Kindle from the couch to a carpeted floor (about a 2-foot drop, plus distance if she's throwing it) and it hasn't broken yet. We have a screen protector on it and it's very easy to wipe away her dirty fingerprints and food stains from the screen protector (water on a paper towel does the trick). She's even spilled juice right on the screen and while it hiccuped a little (probably due to the capacitance touch screen), it was fine after I cleaned away the liquid.
2. Just the right size. She has the 7" model and it fits perfectly in both her hands or she can even hold it one handed. She's large for a 2-year-old, yes, but still, it's very portable for her. She will often sit with it on her lap or on the table and watch her shows.
3. Fast - most of the time. Videos load very fast, navigating the screens in FreeTime Unlimited is fast. Very rarely (more about it below) do we see slow-downs when loading a video or a game.
1. Not enough storage. Like seriously lacking in the storage department. I have this same complaint against the Fire TV - 8 GB is NOT sufficient. With FreeTime, my daughter goes through and downloads books and games galore and then I'm stuck clearing them off when she gets the insufficient storage message that interrupts her videos. Even when she nears her storage limit it will start warning her, interrupting her viewing experience. Because of this I would jump at the opportunity to buy a kid-friendly bumper for one of my 32 GB kindle fire HDX's, because she uses her FreeTime Unlimited on those too and never, ever runs out of storage.
2. Freezes. I've noticed it more often as of late, but sometimes videos won't load or if she's in a game it will freeze. I then have to come and hold the power button down to have it come up and prompt to turn off and then hit the home page to exit the app, because it is otherwise unresponsive. My daughter gets frustrated by such freezes and notifies me by throwing it or bring it to me. But I can usually tell it's frozen because Daniel Tiger stops talking.
3. Older children content view-able by a 2-year old. I believe Amazon has addressed this partially, but when she first got this device she was able to access the Nickelodeon show iCarly from within the Kindle Fire Unlimited. I could not at that time find any way to restrict her viewing of that show through parental controls. That show is NOT appropriate for a 2-year-old (they talk about b**bs in the first episode). Since that time I believe Amazon has implemented a way for parents to restrict content from the FreeTime Unlimited environment, but it's a manual process. What I would prefer to see is a way for the device to use the age of the child to automatically restrict content. Obviously iCarly would be at least an 8 or 9-year old plus show, maybe even older. Perhaps allow parents to specify which age ranges they want their younger child to be able to access, up to 13+ or something (not sure any 13-year-olds are using this though).
4. Must be dedicated to the child. Because of the aforementioned abysmal storage issues, there is no feasible way for both an adult and a child to use this device with any regularity. I had to literally remove EVERY adult app I could from the main adult profile in order to free up storage for my daughter and it STILL skirts the edge and requires me to micromanage the storage to keep removing the games and books she clicks on to auto-download. Until Amazon finds a solution to put games and books in the cloud or something, I do not see any way that an adult and a child could use this device (adult at night and child by day, for example). You are better served purchasing a larger capacity HD 7 or an HDX for your adult apps.
Looking back, the reason I bought this device was the 1-year warranty and the bumpers. This was the first device of this kind I had purchased and so it was a learning experience. Going forward, I will be considering re-purposing one of the 7" Kindle HDX 32 GB to be the "kid" kindle in the future and try to get a kid-friendly durable case for that model and eventually sell or give away this lower-capacity, lower performing, Kindle.
I had my doubts about the case, but it stands up very well to being dropped or "thrown" by a toddler. Thankfully! The parental controls are great, however, I wish I could tell FreeTime to remove "Spongebob" or "Calliou" as we do not allow my 2 1/2 year old to watch those shows so I wish I could specify which characters to not let him watch/read/use apps for.
Easy to Use
Charges quickly and lasts many days even with video and apps
FreeTime is fantastic
Parental Controls are pretty fantastic
Case is awesome (son has dropped it many times and it is still in great shape)
8 GB is NOT ENOUGH space, wish I would have gotten 16 GB
Wish you could specify what FreeTime characters are allowed using FreeTime or Parental Controls
I have the Kindle Fire HD and love it so I was so excited for the kids edition. Overall it's a great product, just wish I would have bought the 16GB and that they update FreeTime to allow you to remove certain characters from showing up as options.
Update 2 years later:
My son (now 4) is still using this on a daily basis. He absolutely loves his Kindle. This Kindle has held up for 2 years, even from being dropped out of grocery carts, outside, off tables, etc. I am surprised that I haven ever had to return it, this case is amazing! I definitely would still recommend this product. Also, one of my cons was that you couldn't remove specific "characters" from FreeTime. This has now been updated and is no longer a CON but a PRO! There are certain children's characters that I do not allow my child to watch (i.e. Calliou, Yo Gabba Gabba, etc.) and you can easily search by name for these characters and block all books, videos, games, etc. This is a fantastic feature! Still a great product!
On the plus side of this review, the free year of Free Time, the free case, and the free replacement warranty are excellent add-ons that can almost make up for the lack of storage space. However, even with all of that included, I still found that getting the regular 16GB Fire HD, case, and warranty separately was a better fit for our needs.
Amazon, please consider offering other models than the 8GB version. That would immediately take this review from 2-stars to 4-stars.
1) the Freetime profile can't have shows or use apps not on WiFi. At least not that ever figured out. Pointless. Most.of the purchase was for long car rides. 2) With about 4 apps (that you can't use) and a few books, it's full. If I wanted to download shows to the adult profile, I couldn't. There is no run. And there is no expansion sloy. We have owned 4 other Kindles with no complaints... I love them all. Until now. I'm stuck with a HORRIBLE product.
It is a really awesome.case, though.
I would definitely recommend this to any parent looking for a tablet for their kids. Plus the free 2 year worry free replacement plan really gives you peace of mind!
The free membership for free time unlimited is also a big bonus since they have access to so many apps/videos and books right off the bat!